Saturday, September 7, 2013

Take me to the markets (& the mall)

The rest of the day yesterday we actually had some free time- so a bunch of us decided to go to Namdaemun Market. It was a little overwhelming with over 10,000 shops, but pretty neat. I will need to go back there on my own time, because I definitely want to get some souvenirs, but we were with a big group and it was hard to stop and browse for too long. 


Pigs feet...yummy


Bugs bugs bugs

Ginseng

Food alley

The pancakes were delicious

Mandoo (kind of like a steamed bun)

Korean tranny and the coolest kid I've seen 

Afterwards, we went to a place for my first taste of patbingsu (Korean shaved ice). It was a little underwhelming, but I need to try the more traditional version. We had oreo, mango and green tea. They were huge so we split three between 9 of us.


Afterwards we walked through a fancier shopping area (Myeongdong) and then headed back to the hotel. 





Interesting store name

Missing my Toms

Seoul Tower

A few of us grabbed a quick dinner before we had to get on the bus for Busan. It ended up being a 6+ hour ride, with a few stops, and we didn't get in til about 3am. This new hostel is TINY. It is centrally located, but the rooms are ridiculously small. I have considered getting a hotel room somewhere close, but I think I can stick it out for a few days. I guess I am one of the "lucky" ones because we got in a 4-person room as opposed to a 6-person room, but I haven't lived like this in quite awhile..or maybe ever. There are bunk beds and hardly no floor space, and tiny lockers for us to store a few things. The showers and bathroom area are also shared- this may take an adjustment.

Packed in like sardines

Took my first group shower this morning

Story Guest House

We crashed pretty hard and only had to be up by noon for lunch. It was raining this morning in Busan so our plans to go to a temple by the sea were changed instead to go to Shinsegae Centum City, the largest department store in the world (not to be compared to the largest mall in the world in Dubai, but it is still pretty huge). Besides all the shops, there's a huge food market and food stalls on the bottom floor, a restaurant floor at the top, an ice skating rink by the food court, an outdoor Dinosaur Zoo on the roof, a golf range, a preschool, an academy, a movie theater, and a bunch of other fun areas. My kids would love it there. I hope to be able to take them one day.

View from food court of the ice rink

Every mall has to have a kids play area

Dunkin Donuts- still in search of the Korean cronut

Music room by the academy, in the mall- only in Korea

Blowfish soup is a Busan specialty
Zooraji on the rooftop- the coolest dinosaur play land









Yes, I'm the creepy mom taking pics of other kids, but these boys made me miss my own..


Views from the roof

My favorite part of the store was actually at the basement level where there was a supermarket and a bunch of good food stalls. I got a mint milk bubble tea that was probably the best bubbles I've had. I couldn't resist a dumpling from one of the stalls either. They had cute ones in the shape of small animals too.


This was the Delicatessan- nothing like Kroger or Food Lion!

Kimchi bar

Unlike the buffets back home

Dumplings!

Cute shaped dumplings

My bubble tea

Stuffed squid

Not really sure what these were, but they looked good

I finally found some cute gifts for the kids; a chopstick learning book for Tommy, a fun stuffed animal pencil case for Emily, some play Pororo cars for all the boys (Pororo is the Korean equivalent to Hello Kitty in Japan), and a car puzzle track set for Everett. I still need to get some more gifts but hope to find them at the markets.

Interesting shaped balloons...let's just say I wouldn't want these at my boys' birthday parties

Korean play food sets- loved the dumpling maker

Couldn't resist taking this picture

I couldn't believe the prices of some of the gift items - anywhere from thousand dollar beef packages, to $500 seafood boxes to $200 fruit boxes and more. 

Spam gift set anyone?



About $400-500

No clue what this stuff was but they were packaged nicely


I needed a little time to myself today (all this group togetherness is a little much for me) so I shopped on my own and on the way home I stopped by the beach.




Food alley by the beach

Ever since we drove into Busan last night, I've had this weird feeling looking at buildings and thinking, "my birth mother could live there," or looking at older women and wondering if that could be her. It's a surreal feeling. There's this book that I read to my kids sometimes called Are You My Mother? and I find myself wondering that when I look at the faces of these women that pass me by. I'm getting increasingly curious about my birth father now. Maybe it's because I have finally returned to the place where I was born. It's weird, but I feel comfortable here. Like I could navigate myself around; almost as if I have been here before. I know that's ridiculous because I was only here for a short time when I was a newborn, but I still have these familiar feelings. It's hard to believe that I will meet my birth mother in two days and I am starting to get more nervous about it. There's no time to dwell on that for now..we are on the move again.

No comments:

Post a Comment